This award covers a range of painting and decorating techniques, adding to your knowledge of the trade. You will gain the expertise to work independently, including a firm grasp of advanced decorative effects, such as graining and marbling.
Updated August 2017
Entry will be based on a combination of GCSE passes, previous work experience, achievement on a relevant progression course and results of an online assessment – this will be discussed at an interview. Maths and English at Level C or above would be preferable.
- Conforming to general safety in the workplace
- Conforming to efficient working practices in the workplace
- Moving and handling resources in the workplace
- Erecting and dismantling access/working platforms in the workplace
- Preparing surfaces for painting/decorating in the workplace
- Applying paint systems by brush and roller in the workplace
- Hanging standard paper wallcoverings in the workplace
- Hanging wide-width vinyls in the workplace
- Installing coving, centre-pieces and texture products in the workplace
- Applying coatings by the air spray method in the workplace
- Producing broken colour work and basic stencilling in the workplace
- Producing and applying complex stencil designs in the workplace
- Application of Number Level 1
- Communication Level 1
- Employment rights and responsibilities
Progress onto the Level 3 Diploma in Decorative Finishing, Painting and Decorating. This qualification will give you the skills and qualifications to progress into self-employment or employment with a firm or contractor.
Learners will attend training on a 'one day per week' basis to study the L2 Diploma for the practical and theory elements. This includes end of unit practical and multiple-choice tests. Whilst at work you will need to gather evidence of competence for your NVQ qualification. The NVQ is assessed by the gathering of photographic evidence, witness testimonies and on-site visits from your tutor/assessor.
Apprentices are assigned a training mentor, who will visit them regularly to ensure they are happy with their progress and that they are on track to achieve.