This programme allows you to develop a range of advanced bricklaying skills, including decorative work, repairs and complex masonry. You will add to your existing knowledge of the trade and be able to work on specialist tasks. You will gain the expertise to work independently, and you will be equipped to take on supervisory roles.
Updated July 2017
A Level 2 qualification and employment within the trade.
Mandatory units / optional units:
- Developing and maintaining good occupational working relationships in the workplace
- Setting out complex masonry structures in the workplace
- Erecting complex masonry structures in the workplace
- Repairing and maintaining masonry structures in the workplace
- Application of Number Level 2
- Communication Level 2
- Employment rights and responsibilities
Self-employment or employment with a firm or contractor, site management or HE
Learners will attend training on a 'one day per week' basis to study the Level 3 Diploma for the practical and theory elements. This includes end of unit practical and multiple choice tests. Whilst at work you will need to gather evidence of competence for your NVQ qualification. The NVQ is assessed by the gathering of photographic evidence, witness testimonies and on-site visits from your tutor/assessor.
Apprentices are assigned a training mentor, who will visit you regularly to ensure you are happy with your progress and that you are on track to achieve.
It will take between 12 - 24 months to complete the apprenticeship framework dependent on ability and prior experience.