Level 2 Certificate in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools (Apprenticeship)
This apprenticeship is suitable for those that provide support in the classroom. Learning support and teaching assistants play a vital role in the modern classrooms. Working under the direction of teachers they are involved in lesson preparation and supporting small groups or individuals in the class.
Our one year Level 2 Certificate in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools is designed to equip aspiring education professionals with the necessary skills and knowledge to make a positive impact in educational settings. This comprehensive course offers a deep exploration of the roles and responsibilities of a teaching assistant or learning support practitioner.
- To understand child and young person development
- To study communication and professional relationships with children, young people and adults
- To understand equality, diversity and inclusion in work with children and young people
- Be able to implement health and safety
- Be able to support learning activities
- Be able to support positive behaviour
- Be able to safeguard the welfare of children and young people.
Upon completion of this programme, you will have the expertise to provide valuable assistance in classrooms, foster student development, and contribute positively to children’s educational journey.
- Apprentices need to secure a school placement and you must be employed for a minimum of 16 hours per week in a suitable school with compulsory school aged children
- Learners must attend an interview with the childcare team and course offers will be subject to a short literacy screening test
- If you do not have the relevant qualifications in English and Mathematics (GCSE Grade C or above) you will need to study essential skills as part of your apprenticeship framework.
This one year apprenticeship course provides you with a comprehensive and flexible learning experience. It is structured to blend theoretical knowledge with practical application, ensuring that you are well-prepared to excel in educational settings.
The course is delivered through a module based learning method, taught by experienced lecturers based at our Tycoch Campus. Lectures are delivered in person on campus on a Tuesday evening. Learners also have access to online learning materials to further their learning journey in their own time to suit their schedules.
The course is assessed through a number of assignment tasks. Learners are also assessed through observation of practice by one of our experienced assessors.
- Further Education: Use your certificate as a stepping stone to a higher level apprenticeship. Progress to the Level 3 Diploma in Specialist Support for Teaching and Learning in Schools (Apprenticeship)
- Teaching Assistant: With a solid foundation in educational support, you'll be well-equipped to secure a teaching assistant role
- Learning Support Practitioner: With your knowledge of supporting students’ needs, pursue a role as a learning support practitioner
- Additional Learning Needs (ALN) Coordinator: As you deepen your expertise, aim for positions as an ALN Coordinator
- No matter which path you choose, the Level 2 Certificate provides a foundation upon which you can build a rewarding career in education.
- School based employees are required to undergo a DBS check at an additional cost.
- Students are allocated an assessor who will support you throughout your time on the apprenticeship programme. You will have access to a range of facilities and support services at the College to aid your learning experience.