Begin your journey to the best universities...
Oxbridge Preparation Programme
Our well-established programme provides the best possible preparation for acceptance to Oxford, Cambridge and other Russell Group universities.
Delivered through weekly tutorials and led by our team of expert Oxbridge tutors, students will gain knowledge of how to produce an effective application and will be supported throughout all aspects of the admissions process.
The programme also encourages students to develop their academic interests and critically engage with current debates and theories, thus building students’ capacity to exchange, build and generate ideas. Highlights include:
- Residential visits and seminars at Cambridge and Oxford colleges - every year over 50 students have the opportunity to visit each university and participate in a series of subject specific workshops and masterclasses delivered by world-leading academics and fellows from each institution. Students are provided with accommodation in the university colleges, including dinner in formal halls, enabling them to experience life as an undergraduate first-hand
- Summer schools – students are encouraged to apply to prestigious and highly-competitive summer schools and are supported in their applications by our Oxbridge tutors. Last year, 35 pupils were invited to attend a range of subject specific summer schools and residentials at Sutton Trust, UNIQ and Villiers Park
- Aptitude tests and assessment preparation – an increasing number of university courses (at Oxbridge and other Russell Group Universities) require applicants to sit standardised aptitude tests. These tests push students far beyond their A Level syllabi and assess analytical reasoning, problem solving and essay writing. Our experienced Oxbridge tutors deliver tailored aptitude test support from the summer term of your first year using past test papers, which is supplemented by further aptitude test preparation workshops delivered by representatives from Oxford and Cambridge colleges
- Mock interview preparation with Oxbridge alumni and local academic professionals – our interview preparation programme enables students to become informed and confident in discussing their academic interests and engaging in challenging ideas. Every student applying for Oxbridge will also undertake at least one subject-specific mock interview, held externally, with detailed feedback provided.
At the invitation of the University of Cambridge we are the only institution in Wales to have been chosen to run the HE+ programme and we act as the hub for all the state sixth forms in Swansea.
HE+ develops academic skills and encourages students to challenge themselves and each other in a supportive environment. The programme inspires students to aim high when making university choices and develops students’ super-curricular knowledge and interests.
HE+ is also supported by the Welsh Government’s Seren Programme. Highlights include:
- Annual HE+ launch event in partnership with Churchill College, Cambridge
- Monthly extension classes to experience subjects at university level.
- Overnight visit to the University of Cambridge and its constituent colleges.
- Regular seminars delivered by the University of Cambridge to support students in preparing applications to highly selective universities.
The Seren Network
Gower College Swansea is the hub provider for Swansea’s Seren Network. The Seren Network, funded by Welsh Government, supports the most academically able students from all state schools to gain access to world leading universities. As the hub institution, Gower College Swansea organises academic workshops and super-curricular activities for students across the Swansea region.
In the last two years, and with the support of Seren, students at Gower College Swansea have also been successful in securing full scholarship places at Harvard and Yale summer schools which have helped lead to successful undergraduate applications to American universities.
Applications for Medicine
Students who have expressed an interest in medical sciences, veterinary science and pharmacy are given weekly tutorial sessions which focus on careers, work shadowing, guests speakers and applications to university. They also provide the opportunity for students to discuss current ethical issues and medical breakthroughs and to receive advice on interview techniques.
Students can gain interview experience and help with their course from Gower College Swansea alumni who are now qualified and progressing in their careers.
The College has strong links with local hospitals and other care providers with regular talks from consultants and GPs.
Applications to Performing Arts Institutions
We will guide you through the application process and prepare you for auditions and interviews.
Updated July 2019