Students will study the basic principles of mechanical and electrical systems used in motor vehicle technology whilst developing their core hand skills.
This course is designed to give learners an insight into a career in the motor vehicle service and repair industry and encourages learners to undertake many maintenance and repair tasks.
- Engine Lubrication Systems
- Engine Cooling Systems
- Fuel and Exhaust Systems
- Spark Ignition System
- Electrical Systems
- Braking Systems
- Steering and Suspension Systems
- Wheels and Tyre Systems
- Transmission Systems
- Materials, Fabrication, Tools and Measuring Devices used in the Automotive Environment
- Bench and Sheet Metal Work Skills
- Development of digital literacy, literacy and numeracy skills
Updated November 2018
Applicants will need to demonstrate that they have a keen interest in the subject and have followed a structured educational programme. Alternatively, applicants may be required to undertake an aptitude test prior to entry.
Successful learners may have the opportunity to further their studies and progress onto the Level 2 VRQ programme.
The following items are essential equipment for completion of the course:
- Overalls and steel toe cap boots conforming to EN345-1 safety standards
- Assorted stationary
- Fundamentals of Motor Vehicle Technology specialist text book L1-3 (ISBN=978 1 4085 15181)