On this one year course you will study the basic principles of mechanical and electrical systems used in motor vehicle technology. It will give you an insight into a career in the motor vehicle service and repair industry and encourage you to undertake maintenance and repair tasks.
- Engine Lubrication Systems
- Engine Cooling Systems
- Fuel and Exhaust Systems
- Spark Ignition System
- Electrical Systems
- Braking Systems
- Steering and Suspension Systems
- Wheels and Tyre Systems
- Transmission Systems
- Materials, Fabrication, Tools and Measuring Devices used in the Automotive Environment
- Bench and Sheet Metal Work Skills
- Development of digital literacy, literacy and numeracy skills
Updated April 2021
Explore this location in 3D
A keen interest in the subject. You may be required to undertake an aptitude test to ensure you have sound understanding of literacy and numeracy.
The course is delivered through practical demonstrations which are supported with realistic working tasks, where the emphasis is on you demonstrating the required skills. Underpinning knowledge for each unit is given via classroom based mode of delivery, where you are encouraged to participate in a range of learner centered activities.
Learners are assessed in a variety of ways including practical activities, multi-choice online examinations and participation in portfolio and assignment work.
Successful learners may have the opportunity to further their studies and progress onto the Level 2 VRQ programme.
The following items are essential equipment for completion of the course:
- Overalls and steel toe cap boots conforming to EN345-1 safety standards
- Assorted stationary
- Fundamentals of Motor Vehicle Technology specialist text book L1-3 (ISBN=978 1 4085 15181)