The electrical installation sector continues to suffer from a skills gap and needs to keep up with rapidly developing technologies. This qualification is intended for those learners who want to work as electricians in the electrical installation sector.
This qualification, alone, does not make candidates fully qualified electricians but allows candidates to learn, develop and practise the skills required for employment and/or career progression in the electrical installation sector.
To achieve the Level 3 Diploma in Electrical Installation learners must successfully complete all seven mandatory units:
- 201/501 - Health and Safety in Building Services Engineering
- 301 - Understand the fundamental principles and requirements of environmental technology systems
- 302 - Principles of Electrical Science
- 303 - Electrical Installations, Fault Diagnosis and Rectification
- 304 - Electrical Installations: Inspection, Testing and Commissioning
- 305 - Electrical Systems Design
- 308 - Career awareness in building services engineering
Updated July 2017
The structure of this qualification is a combination of both practical and theoretical elements. Both will be assessed via written and practical assignments and online multiple choice examinations.
On successful completion of the Level 3, learners can progress onto the following qualifications to become a qualified electrician:
• Electrical Installation Apprenticeship - Level 3 Diploma in Electrical Installation
• Level 3 Certificate in the Requirements for Electrical Installations (BS 7671 2008)
• Level 3 Award in the Initial Verification and Certification of Electrical Installations
• Level 3 Award in the Periodic Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical
• Level 4 Award in the Design and Verification of Electrical Installations
• BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Engineering
• Level 4 Electrical Engineering BTEC HNC
You could also consider the HND Electrical Engineering
Personal protective clothing (boots and overalls) and basic Electrical Installation tool kit is essential.
Howard Jenkins on 01792 284316