This course provides the opportunity to develop the skills necessary to pursue a career within the fashion and textile industries. Design and production skills coupled with market awareness and professional practice will be at the core of all projects.
Learners will be encouraged to express a personal design style whilst developing a wide range of skills. These include mark making, illustrative and technical drawing, digital skills, design development, pattern cutting, garment construction alongside textile processes using both traditional and contemporary methods; digital printing, embroidery and laser cutting. Practical skills are underpinned with contextual studies to develop an understanding of the historical, cultural and social contexts that inform fashion and textile design.
Updated November 2020
CCC at AS Level would be considered subject to interview and relevant academic experience
The course is delivered through lectures, practical demonstrations, workshops, tutorials and live briefs. Assessment is through practical experimentation and write-ups, practical outcomes, reports, presentations, observation, portfolio of work.
Year 1 Level 4 modules:
- Research, Design Creativity and Realisation
- SUSTAINABLE and ETHICAL DESIGN and MAKE
- Contextual Studies 1: History of Fashion
- Contextual Studies 2: The Fashion Industry
- Textile Design
- Digital Design for Fashion and Textiles
Year 2 Level 5 modules:
- Creative and Sustainable Design Process and Realisation for Industry
- Advanced Commercial Design and Realisation
- Contextual Studies 3: Subculture and Identity
- Industrial Placement
- Professional Practice
- Portfolio Preparation
Students can complete a BA (Hons) in Fashion Design by studying for an extra year at the University of Gloucestershire in addition to the FdA Fashion and Textiles design.
Fees for this course are £7,500 per year. Further information for Wales: http://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk
There will be a studio fee payable for this course - for 2020/21 it is £200
There are other costs associated with this course including
- Optional international trip - £350
- UK trip - at least £50
- Materials - £20 - £200 per year
- Research and fabrics £15 - £25 per year
- Workbooks - £20 per practical module, £80 per year
- Printing costs - £50 - £100
- Degree show - £200
Receive a £1000 College bursary per year (subject to satisfactory progression)
The UCAS code for this course is W231 (you must apply via the University of Gloucestershire UCAS institution code - G50)
*Please note that the tuition fees stated are for the 2020-21 academic year and are subject to increase for future years of study. Please see the university’s website for further information.