This qualification will cover the core knowledge and understanding required to work within the Children’s Care Play Learning and Development sector.
This qualification is aimed at post-16 learners in Wales, working or seeking to work, in regulated childcare settings with families and children under the age of 8 and/or NHS children's services for those working with families and children 0-19. This includes child health settings.
We also offer this as part of an Apprenticeship Programme.
Updated September 2020
No entry requirements however you will undertake screening as part of the interview process to check that your skills are at a suitable level for those entering this sector.
Students will need a genuine interest in working in the sector and should demonstrate commitment and enthusiasm. Students need to be reliable, honest, trustworthy, well-motivated and self-reliant.
Students should be at least 16 years of age
To undertake an Apprenticeship you would need to be employed for a minimum of 16 hours per week in a suitable Early Years setting.
The qualification covers the fundamental knowledge and understanding of the new All Wales Induction Framework for Early Years and Childcare and reflects a range of different roles and ages.
The Level 2 Children's Care, Play, Learning and Development: Core qualification is a linear qualification. To achieve the qualification, you must achieve the following five mandatory units:
001 Principles and Values of Children’s Care, Play, Learning and Development (0-19 years of age)
002 Health, Well-Being, Learning and Development
003 Professional Practice as an Early Years and Childcare Worker
004 Safeguarding Children
005 Health and Safety in Children’s Care, Play, Learning and Development
Learners are expected to have completed this qualification prior to, or alongside Level 2 and 3 practice qualifications in Children’s Care, Play, Learning and Development.
Qualification aims and objectives
The Level 2 Children's Care, Play, Learning and Development: Core qualification enables learners to:
• develop their knowledge and understanding of the core principles and values which underpin children's care, play, learning and development practice
• develop their knowledge and understanding of ways of working in the children's care, play, learning and development sectors
• develop knowledge and understanding which informs effective practice within children's care, play, learning and development
• have the core knowledge and understanding to support progression on to further study or employment within children's care, play, learning and development.
Students will attend college for two sessions per week on a Monday and Wednesday 1-4 pm
To achieve the qualification, you must pass:
• three externally set, internal scenario-based assessments; and
• one externally set, externally marked multiple-choice test.
This qualification supports learners to progress to further qualifications including the following qualifications within the suite of Health and Social Care, and Childcare qualifications for Wales.
• Level 2 Children’s Care, Play, Learning and Development: Practice
• Level 2 Children’s Care, Play, Learning and Development: Practice and Theory
• Level 3 Children’s Care, Play, Learning and Development: Practice
• Level 3 Children’s Care, Play, Learning and Development: Practice and Theory.
Students on this course will be charged for an enhanced Criminal Records check in line with Disclosure and Baring Service [DBS] requirements. The current cost is £44.