This apprenticeship is relevant to learning support practitioners who work in a range of learning contexts, including general and specialist learning support roles. It will support the professionalism of the learning support workforce and enable a wider recognition of the valuable role that learning support practitioners bring to supporting the diverse range of learner requirements in further education, skills and lifelong learning contexts.
Each unit is made up of credits, at Level 3 students require 18 credits which are achieved through four mandatory units which include:
- Preparing to support learning
- Learning in the lifelong learning contexts
- Principles of learning support
- Supporting learning
A further 12 credits must be chosen from 11 optional units which include:
- Skills check and signposting for English, mathematics and ICT needs
- Organisational approaches to meeting English, mathematics and ICT learning needs
- English, mathematics and ICT needs for life, learning and work
- Equality and diversity
- Practice based investigation
- Supporting learners in an area specialism
- Preparing for the mentoring role
- Understanding and managing behaviours in a learning environment Inclusive approaches to providing information.
Updated January 2018
Trainees are required to be practicing in a learning support role. There are no formal entry requirements, however students will need to undertake screening as part of the interview process to check that their skills are at a suitable level for those working in this sector.
Students will need a genuine interest in working in the sector and should demonstrate commitment and enthusiasm. Students need to be reliable, honest, trustworthy, well motivated and self reliant.
Students will attend college for three hours per week on a Tuesday. Knowledge assignments are internally assessed. Occupational competence is assessed in placement/ workplace.
Students will be able to progress to a variety of courses which include:
Foundation Degree in Learning Support
Foundation Degree in Care and Support
Preparing to Teach