Adult and Children and Young People Pathway
This two year course will be knowledge-based and will be designed for post-16 learners who want to develop a breadth and depth of knowledge related to the Health and Social Care sector. It will provide a sound basis for learners who want to progress to higher education or to the workplace.
Areas of study include:
- factors that affect human growth and development
- common illnesses, diseases and disorders, and how they may be prevented and controlled
- provision of health and social care: adults, children's and young people's services
- promoting quality care and communication
- promoting good health.
- engagement strategies to support individuals in a range of care settings
- understanding human behaviour – psychological theories
- understanding mental health and well-being
- promoting the rights of adults, children and young people
You will complete the Welsh Baccalaureate or, if based at our Gorseinon campus, a related A Level (i.e. Health and Social Care, Biology, Psychology) alongside this qualification. You will also study literacy, numeracy and be required to undertake work placements in residential and nursing care, family centres and voluntary organisations.
You must complete a DBS prior to enrolling on the course. Cost is approximately £40.
Elements of this course can be delivered through the medium of Welsh.
Updated March 2021
Five GCSEs at grade C (including English Language C and D in Maths) if studying alongside the Welsh Baccalaureate and/or successful completion of the Level 2 qualification.
If studying alongside an A Level course, learners will be required to have seven GCSEs or meet the subject specific entry requirements.
These qualifications will be assessed through a combination of two external written assessments and two non-exam assessments.
Relevant careers sectors could include:
- Social Care
- Early Years
- Speech and Language therapy
- Occupational therapy
Learners who wish to progress to Higher Education may choose to take these qualifications alongside Advanced GCE in Health and Social Care, and Childcare thereby completing the equivalent of three A Levels.
The qualifications could also lead to further education and training within the suite of Health and Social Care, and Childcare qualifications including:
- Level 3 Health and Social Care: Practice (Adults)
- Level 3 Health and Social Care: Practice (Children and Young People)
Polo shirts are £10 and you will need two.
There may be additional costs involved for trips and these will be explained as they arise.