This two year course will give you an understanding of the electrical and mechanical systems that are used on a motor vehicle in terms of operation, design and maintenance.
You will complete a number of set practical tasks, along with multi-choice examinations to test your knowledge.
You will also develop your maths, English and digital literacy skills.
- Knowledge of Health, Safety & Good Housekeeping in the Automotive Environment
- Knowledge of Support for Job Roles in the Automotive Work Environment
- Knowledge of Materials, Fabrication, Tools & Measuring Devices used in the Automotive Environment.
- Introduction to Vehicle Technology and Workshop Methods and Processes
- Carry-out Basic Motor Vehicle Maintenance
- Knowledge and Inspection of Light Vehicle Wheels and Tyres
- Knowledge of Light Vehicle Engine Mechanical, Lubricant & Cooling System Units & Components
- Knowledge of Light Vehicle Fuel, Ignition, Air & Exhaust Systems Units & Components
- Knowledge of Removing & Replacing Light Vehicle Electrical Units & Components
- Knowledge of Removing & Replacing Light Vehicle Chassis Units & Components
- Knowledge of Routine Light Vehicle Maintenance
- Knowledge of Light Vehicle Transmission & Driveline Units and Components
- Bench and Sheet Metal Work Skills
- Introductory Welding Skills (optional)
- Essential Skills Wales - digital literacy, literacy and numeracy
Appropriate GCSEs at grade D including maths and English along with an interview.
The course is delivered through practical demonstrations which are supported with realistic working tasks, where the emphasis is on you demonstrating the required skills. Underpinning knowledge for each unit is given via classroom based mode of delivery, where you are encouraged to participate in a range of learner centered activities.
Learners are assessed in a variety of ways including practical activities, multi-choice online examinations and participation in portfolio and assignment work.
Level 2 Foundation Apprenticeship
Motor Vehicle Maintenance and Repair (Level 3 Diploma)
Vehicle Technology (Level 3 Diploma) with sufficient maths skills.
The following items are essential equipment for completion of the course:
- Overalls and steel toe cap boots conforming to EN345-1 safety standards
- Assorted stationary
- Hillers Fundamentals of Motor Vehicle Technology Book 1 (ISBN = 978 1 4085 15181)