This two year course will give you an understanding of the electrical and mechanical systems that are used on a motor vehicle in terms of operation, design and maintenance.
You will complete a number of set practical tasks, along with multi-choice examinations to test your knowledge.
You will also develop your maths, English and digital literacy skills.
- Knowledge of Health, Safety & Good Housekeeping in the Automotive Environment
- Knowledge of Support for Job Roles in the Automotive Work Environment
- Knowledge of Materials, Fabrication, Tools & Measuring Devices used in the Automotive Environment.
- Introduction to Vehicle Technology and Workshop Methods and Processes
- Carry-out Basic Motor Vehicle Maintenance
- Knowledge and Inspection of Light Vehicle Wheels and Tyres
- Knowledge of Light Vehicle Engine Mechanical, Lubricant & Cooling System Units & Components
- Knowledge of Light Vehicle Fuel, Ignition, Air & Exhaust Systems Units & Components
- Knowledge of Removing & Replacing Light Vehicle Electrical Units & Components
- Knowledge of Removing & Replacing Light Vehicle Chassis Units & Components
- Knowledge of Routine Light Vehicle Maintenance
- Knowledge of Light Vehicle Transmission & Driveline Units and Components
- Bench and Sheet Metal Work Skills
- Introductory Welding Skills (optional)
- Essential Skills Wales - digital literacy, literacy and numeracy
Appropriate GCSEs at grade D including maths and English along with an interview.
Level 2 Foundation Apprenticeship
Motor Vehicle Maintenance and Repair (Level 3 Diploma)
Vehicle Technology (Level 3 Diploma) with sufficient maths skills.
The following items are essential equipment for completion of the course:
- Overalls and steel toe cap boots conforming to EN345-1 safety standards
- Assorted stationary
- Hillers Fundamentals of Motor Vehicle Technology Book 1 (ISBN = 978 1 4085 15181)