Floor Covering Level 2
This apprenticeship is an opportunity to develop skills, behaviours and underpinning knowledge to progress your flooring career. It will provide the chance to work through a programme, enabling the learner to gain the technical expertise, practical experience and broader skills needed to progress within the sector.
Apprentices will have access to materials and tools that will enable them to learn and develop their skills in an environment where they can hone their craft, allowing them to go back to their employer and further develop these skills in real environments.
Level 2 Diploma Mandatory units
- Health, safety and welfare in construction and associated industries
- Develop customer relationships
- Understanding construction technology
- Understanding information, quantities and communication with others
- Prepare subfloor surfaces to receive floor coverings
- Set out for the layering of floorcoverings
- Install resilient tile and sheet floorcoverings
- Install textile floorcoverings
Level 2 Certificate Mandatory units
- Conforming to general health, safety and welfare in the workplace
- Conforming to productive working practices in the workplaces
- Moving, handling and storing resources in the workplace
- Assessing and preparing background surfaces for floorcovering in the workplace
- Preparing and fitting underlays for floorcoverings in the workplace
- Setting out for laying floorcoverings in the workplace
- Surface preparation to receive floorcoverings
- Assessing and evaluating conditions for floorcoverings in the workplace
- Develop customer relationships
NVQ Optional units
- Installing textile floorcoverings in the workplace
- Installing resilient floorcoverings in the workplace
- Installing timber-based floorcoverings in the workplace
There are no formal entry requirements for this Level 2 apprenticeship, therefore no previous training or requirements are needed.
Learners however must be working within the Flooring sector and have an employment contract that lasts the minimum time of the apprenticeship, which supports the qualification.
Under the apprenticeship framework, learners will also be expected to complete:
- Level 1 Application of Number
- Level 1 Communication
The apprenticeship is delivered through a mixture of practical sessions with excellent workshop facilities, as well as theory lessons to underpin the knowledge learnt in the practical sessions.
Learners will be assessed via practical assignments and written assignments.
Level 2 Dipoma in Floor Covering
The assessment requirements set for this qualification are multiple-choice knowledge tests and practical assignments. Each of the knowledge units will be graded pass, merit or distinction. Assessments will differ for each unit, and will include in class activities as well as post-class activities.
Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Floor Covering
As learners progress through the NVQ, they will build an e-portfolio of the naturally occurring evidence of the practical activity you will undertake in the workplace to demonstrate your knowledge and competency. A range of assessment methods will be used, including:
- Questions and answers
- Witness testimonies
- Product evidence
- Case studies
- Professional discussion