Leaving Care (Higher Education)
Designated Officer: Cathy Thomas
01792 890 772
07946 373 455
Are you a Looked After Child or a Child Leaving Care and interested in signing up for a higher education course at Gower College Swansea? Or do you support a Looked After Child or a Child Leaving Care who is interested in studying?
Think about the courses you would like to do:
- Take a look at our HE courses
- General queries regarding HE should be directed to our HE Manager Ryan Jarvis - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Any application queries should go through to Beth Hughes - email@example.com
- If you need specific information concerning the courses, please contact 01792 284000 and an email address for the HE course lecturer can be provided.
You may also want to attend a:
- College open evening
- Attend a University Centre tour
- Attend an annual transition event – this will showcase the support we have available and how it can help young people with the transition into the College. It is available to any organisations that support young people and young people are welcome too.
Once you’ve decided on your course you will need to apply via UCAS
Apply for your student finance - you could be eligible for loans and/or grants to help with expenses. In addition you could receive a bursary of up to £1000 (if you satisfy certain requirements).
As a Gower College Swansea student you can access welfare support including:
- A personal tutor
- Additional 1-2-1 support from a Student Support Officer for any concerns in College e.g. help with budgeting, debt, anxiety, depression, relationship worries, domestic abuse, making friends, low confidence, welfare information – generally anything that would affect you achieving your qualification.
You can also access additional learning support including:
- Dyslexia support, in class support, support for a disability or extra time in exams
- Study skills support any support that continues from school and college
Please get in touch, we look forward to hearing from you and to help you with your or your young person’s transition to Gower College Swansea.
Updated November 2020