At Gower College Swansea, we are proud to provide a comprehensive range of Access to Higher Education (HE) courses, designed to empower individuals aged 19-and-over with the skills and qualifications needed for successful entry into higher education. Whether you're seeking to return to education after a break or looking to embark on a new career path, our Access courses provide the ideal foundation for your educational journey!
Key features of our Access to HE Courses:
- Recognised nationwide: Our Access to Higher Education courses are part of the All Wales Access to Higher Education programme, which is recognised by universities and higher education institutions across both Wales and England
- Tailored for adult learners: Geared towards mature students from a range of educational backgrounds, our Access courses cater to individuals who may not possess traditional qualifications or formal education. We also understand that life circumstances can vary, and most course timetables should allow you to balance your educational pursuits with family and other commitments
- Diverse subject offerings: We offer an extensive range of Access courses, providing opportunities for diverse interests and career aspirations!
Which Access course fits your career goals? Gower College Swansea are delighted to offer courses in the following subjects:
- Business and Financial Services
- Counselling Skills and Psychology
- Engineering (New course starting 2023!)
- Health Science
- Nursing and Health Professions
- Nursing and Health Professions (evening class)
- Policing (New course starting 2023!)
- Social Welfare/Social Work.
“Before starting an Access course, I was working in childcare. I chose to study the Access to Social Work course because I was looking for something different in my career, something where I could progress to a university Degree. I enjoy all aspects of the course: learning new topics every day and all the different modules we study, but especially sociology! All the lecturers in the College are very supportive and always there whenever we need support. When I finish this course, I plan to go to Cardiff Metropolitan University, where I’ll hopefully gain a degree and then move on to a career in social work. I would recommend this course to everyone, especially if you want to switch careers.”
- Jodie, Access to Social Work.
“I’m studying Access to Nursing, which is great! It’s very challenging and nice to learn new things. The tutors are very helpful, the things that we do here are great and it’s a friendly environment. After I finish this course, I’m planning to work in one of the hospitals here in Wales, maybe a medical ward. I highly recommend this course to anyone who is interested in studying nursing.”
- Bim, Access to Nursing
We also understand that some students may require additional support and preparation before undertaking the Access to HE programmes.
For such students, we offer a six-week, part-time Preparation for Learning course, which equips learners with the essential skills needed to successfully complete assignments at a higher level. We also offer a one-year, full-time Skills for Further Study Diploma which addresses basic literacy and numeracy needs and boosts confidence. Both courses can serve as a stepping-stone towards Access to HE programmes.