Looked After Children (LAC) and Leaving Care (LC)

Designated officer: Tamsyn Oates
T: 01792 284071
M: 07867135815
E: tamsyn.oates@gcs.ac.uk

Are you a Looked After Child or a Child Leaving Care and interested in attending Gower College Swansea? Or do you support a Looked After Child or a Child Leaving Care who is interested in attending Gower College Swansea?

If the answer to either of these is yes, please contact Tamsyn Oates, the College’s Looked After Children (LAC)  and Leaving Care (LC) Designated Officer. Tamsyn can support you to follow these three simple steps to college:

Step 1
Think about the courses you would like to do:

  • Take a look at our courses - full time and part time options available
  • Phone us on 01792 284000 for a full time, part time or HE prospectus
  • Call in to speak with the Schools Liaison Advisor or an Admissions team member for course advice and guidance

You may also want to attend a:

  • College open evenings
  • College tour at Gorseinon, Jubilee Court, Llwyn y Bryn and Tycoch Campuses. We can show you the amazing facilities we have available at the college
  • Transition event – this event showcases the support we have available at the college and how it can help young people with the transition into the college. It is available to any organisations that support young people. Young people are welcome too.

If you support LAC or LC and would like to arrange an activity for your young people, please get in touch and we will see what we can do for you.

Step 2
Once you’ve decided on your course complete an application form at school, via the website or you can request a paper form from 01792 890700 or 01792 284000.

Step 3
Attend an interview, remember to tell us:

  • Why you want to study your course, we want to make sure you are coursed correctly
  • Your predicted grades, we will suggest a course level based on these
  • About any support needs or concerns you may have so that we can put in place the right support before you enrol at College.

While you’re at College, we can help to access a range of additional support including:

  • The Financial Contingency Fund (FCF) - which can cover costs of a College bus pass, course specific kit and equipment
  • The Educational Maintenance Allowance (EMA) - £30 a week to attend a full time College course

If you are a LAC your Social Worker needs to provide the College with a letter from the local authority that explains you are under a full care order. If you are LC you will need to provide evidence of household income or benefits.

You can access welfare support including:

  • A personal tutor
  • Additional 1-2-1 Support from a Student Support Officer for any worries that can affect your time in College e.g. help with benefits, budgeting, debt, anxiety, depression, bullying, relationship worries, domestic abuse, making friends, confidence issues, welfare information, etc.

You can also access additional learning support including:

  • Dyslexia support, in class support, support for a disability or extra time in exams
  • Study skills support
  • Any support that continues from school.

Please get in touch, we look forward to hearing for you and hope to help you or your young person with their transition to Gower College Swansea. 

Updated January 2020