Skip to main content

Looked After Children (LAC) and Leaving Care (LC)

Designated Officer: Cathy Thomas
01792 890 772
07946 373 455

Are you a Looked After Child or a Child Leaving Care and interested in attending Gower College Swansea? Or do you support a Looked After Child or a Child Leaving Care who is interested in attending Gower College Swansea?

If the answer to either of these is yes, please contact Tamsyn Oates, the College’s Looked After Children (LAC) and Leaving Care (LC) Designated Officer. Tamsyn can support you to follow these three simple steps to College.

Step one
Think about the courses you would like to do:

  • Take a look at our courses - full-time and part-time options are available
  • Call in to speak with the Schools Liaison Coordinator or an Admissions Advisor for course advice and guidance.

You may also want to attend 

  • College open evenings
  • A College tour at Gorseinon, Jubilee Court, Llwyn y Bryn or Tycoch Campus. We can show you the amazing facilities we have available
  • Transition event, this event showcases the support we have available and how it can help young people with the transition into College. It is available to any organisations that support young people. 

If you support LAC or LC and would like to arrange an activity for your young people, please get in touch and we will see what we can do for you.

Step two
Once you’ve decided on your course, complete an application form at school, via the website or call our admissions team on 01792 284000.

Step three
Attend an interview, remember to tell us:

  • Why you want to study your course
  • Your predicted grades, we will suggest a course level based on these
  • About any support needs or concerns you may have so we can put in place the right support before you enrol.

While you’re at College, we can help to access a range of additional support including:

  • Financial Contingency Fund (FCF) - which can cover costs of a College bus pass, course specific kit and equipment.
  • Educational Maintenance Allowance (EMA) - £30 a week to attend a full time College course.

If you are a LAC your social worker will need to provide the College with a letter from the local authority that explains you are under a full care order. If you are LC you will need to provide evidence of household income or benefits.

You can access welfare support including

  • A personal tutor
  • Support from a Student Support Officer for any worries that can affect your time in College e.g. help with benefits, budgeting, debt, anxiety, depression, bullying, relationship worries, domestic abuse, making friends, confidence issues or welfare information.

You can also access additional learning support including

  • Dyslexia support, in class support, support for a disability or extra time in exams
  • Study skills support
  • Any support that continues from school.