Level 3 Foundation Diploma in Art and Design
The Foundation Diploma in Art and Design at Gower College Swansea is an intensive program of study, designed to provide students with a solid foundation in various artistic disciplines. This Level 3 course aims to develop your creativity, critical thinking skills, and technical abilities, enabling you to pursue university education or begin a career in the dynamic field of art and design.
Applicants need to meet the following entry requirements:
- One A Level supported by 5 GCSE grades 9-5 (A*-C) or equivalent
- A Level 3 Vocational Qualification ideally in Art and Design
- Other qualifications considered to be equivalent. Mature students are welcome to apply. Subject to interview and portfolio of work.
Coursework is assessed at a number of key points throughout the academic year. Learners will present work in sketchbooks, digital blogs and in different practical formats and will be assessed on research, development, experimentation, and final outcomes.
Learners complete six units during the year long course. The first 4 unit’s learners can access a pass grade only. The final two unit’s learners are able to access a pass, merit or distinction grade which attract the following UCAS points: Distinction 112. Merit 96. Pass 80.
Upon successful completion of the Foundation Diploma in Art and Design, students will be equipped with a diverse set of skills and a strong portfolio, enabling them to pursue various pathways, including:
- Progressing to higher education programs such as Bachelor's degrees in art, design, or related fields
- Pursuing careers in areas such as fine art, illustration, graphic design, fashion design, photography, advertising, or animation
- Working as freelance artists, designers, or creative professionals in the industry.
Learners from this course regularly benefit from artist masterclasses, HE visits and opportunities to publicly exhibit their work preparing them for a creative career. Learners progress to a number of exceptional universities including UAL: Central St Martins, London College of Fashion and Camberwell, Kingston, Manchester, UWE Bristol and Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama. Live briefs and working with National Skills Competitions benefit our learners for their next steps with several winning medals in National creative competitions.