This one year course is for those who want to learn the basic skills and knowledge involved in plumbing and electrical work and prepares learners for employment or further study.
There are nine mandatory units to complete, ranging from:
- Structure of the construction industry
- Fundamental safe working practices
- Environmental and sustainability measures in domestic dwellings
- Site preparation for working in the construction industry
- Electrical installation wiring and terminations
- Above ground drainage
- Copper pipework
- Plastic pressure pipework
- Installation, repair and maintenance of plumbing systems
There are no formal entry requirements. Students' prior knowledge and experience will be discussed at interview.
The course is a full time programme over one year. The Level 1 Diploma in Building Services Studies (7201-01) is a mix of theory assessments and practical assessments.
Elements of this course can be delivered through the medium of Welsh.
On completion, the qualification will provide an opportunity to progress onto the:
- Foundation in Construction and Building Services Engineering
- Core in Construction and Building Services Engineering
- Building Services Engineering Level 3 (trade area) - EAL