This qualification is aimed at learners looking to start a career within the horticultural industry. This is a hands-on, practical qualification and focusses on the skills necessary to progress into a career in horticulture.
Added March 2020
There are no prior qualifications needed.
There are no compulsory topics that you will need to complete however, this qualification contains a very wide range of optional subjects such as:
- lay hard surfaces for external landscaping
- assess soil texture and condition
- plant a tree
- plant a container for seasonal display
- prune deciduous spring-flowering shrubs
- prune soft fruit bushes and cane fruits
- propagate plants by stem cuttings
- repair damaged turf
- use a pedestrian controlled rotary cultivator
The qualification is assessed by observation of practical performance and questioning. Students must also produce a written portfolio of evidence to support underpinning knowledge and understanding.
There is a £40 fee for safety clothing which students are required to wear whilst doing practical tasks.