Level 2 Diploma Practical Horticulture Skills
This course is for students who have an interest or experience in the world of landscaping and gardening. This may be as a hobby, through a Level 1 course, work experience or just an interest in all things green!
During this course, students will take part in real-life landscaping projects on and off site in collaboration with our many partners. For example, Pennard Golf Course, Penllegaer Woods, Singleton Park.
- Learn about landscaping principles, design concepts, and elements that make captivating outdoor spaces
- Develop hard landscaping techniques which may include constructing pathways, walls, patio building and boundary fencing
- Understand how to grow and care for plants and vegetables
- Select the right plants for different settings and acquire essential garden maintenance skills
- Learn how to use appropriate tools and machinery in a safe and effective manner
- Experience working with customers via community projects, green fayres and seasonal events.
- Applicants will need to display an interest in hard and soft landscaping
- Ideally hold a Level 1 Diploma in Landscape Construction and Gardening or construction, or one GCSE at Grade C.
Three days a week for one year.
- Observation of practical performance
- Portfolio of photographic evidence
- Short written assessments.
Past learners on this course have gained employment with landscaping contractors, construction companies, garden centers, nurseries, and the parks department. Some have even set up their own garden maintenance businesses.
Opportunities to progress onto Level 3 Landscaping and Horticulture qualifications.
Based on our Tycoch and Gorseinon Campus.
A basic level of physical fitness is required for this course.
You will be required to provide and wear safety boots, workwear trousers, waterproofs.
Gloves, safety glasses, ear defenders and all tools and equipment will be provided by the College.