This two-year course prepares students for a career within a public service organisation such as police, fire, ambulance and armed forces. It will provide information about what jobs are available within these services, as well as preparing students for their entry procedures.
18 study units will be selected from a wide range of topics including the following:
- Government policies
- Leadership and teamwork
- Understanding discipline
- Fitness testing and training
- Outdoor and adventurous activities
- Skills for land based outdoor and adventurous activities
- Skills for water based outdoor and adventurous activities
- Career planning
- Crime and its effects on society
- Understanding behaviour
- Aspects of the legal system and law making process
- Employment in the Uniformed Public Services
- International perspectives
- Management of major incidents
- Command and control
Updated November 2018
Visiting speakers and educational visits feature regularly on the course. Students have the opportunity to attend such events as outdoor pursuit and team building courses.
Students will work towards the Welsh Baccalaureate.
Staying with Gower College Swansea you could progress onto the Foundation Degree in Sports Development and Management
Students achieving success on the Extended Diploma course can progress to higher education to study an HND or degree course in a range of subjects. Alternatively, students can apply to join a public service organisation following completion of the course.
There may be some cost involved if trips etc are organised.