This week, we were advised by Swansea Bay Health Board that the Regional Incident Management Team (IMT) considers the current risk level of coronavirus in Swansea Bay equivalent to the high rating on their framework.
Subsequently, the guidance from the IMT is that, although the College is not itself a high risk, all organisations – including schools – are being asked to take extra steps to help prevent the continuing spread of the virus in the wider community.
As a College, we already have a number of control measures in place, which include
- Robust cleaning procedures
- One-way systems
- Consistent seating plans
- Floor/room signage
- Physical distancing
- Encouragement of hand washing/sanitisation.
To ensure we are taking all the necessary precautions, we will now be asking all students and staff to wear a face covering (unless exempt) when moving around indoor communal areas outside of the classroom – and this will start from tomorrow, Thursday 16 September.
Our key focus, as always, is to protect face to face teaching for our students, so in addition to our current measures, we will be looking to implement the following as further precautions:
- Reduce trips unless they are linked to the delivery of the curriculum
- Minimise the number of external visitors coming to the College unless it is essential
- Continue to reduce the number of support staff working on campus at any one time, whilst ensuring that we meet the business needs of the College
- Move all meetings, wherever possible online
- Increased management presence across all campuses.
By taking this approach, I believe we are continuing to make our contribution to the wider needs of the community as well as further protecting our students and staff.
We will continue to encourage all staff and students to avoid heavily crowded places and to remember that fresh air is important, so meet and socialise outdoors wherever possible.
In addition, we want to remind everyone that vaccination is still extremely important protection against infection, and drop in vaccination sessions are running regularly in Swansea Bay for anyone over the age of 16. You can find more information here.
Thank you, as always, for your continued support.