This qualification aims to provide learners with the skills and knowledge necessary to plan, deliver and evaluate safe and effective fitness instruction sessions via the context of gym-based exercise.
Learners successfully completing this qualification will be able to gain access to the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) at Level 2.
Learners have to be at least 16 years old. There aren’t any specific recommended prior learning requirements for this qualification. However learners might find it useful if they’ve already completed qualifications in a related area at Level 1.
The requirement for learners to complete four mandatory units ensures they gain an understanding of fitness instruction. Learners will have the opportunity to develop their theoretical knowledge of the subject, including anatomy and physiology as well as developing their practical skills.
Learners will develop a basic understanding of the values and principles which underpin all work in this sector e.g. working with clients, health and safety within the fitness sector, team working skills, reflective learning, self discipline, having a positive and cooperative attitude, self assessment of strengths and weaknesses, self improvement and development, respect for others and being able to discuss and comment on the work of others positively.
This qualification consists of six units:
• Anatomy and physiology for exercise
• Know how to support clients who take part in exercise and physical activity
• Health, safety and welfare in a fitness environment
• Principles of exercise, fitness and health
• Planning gym based exercise
• Instructing gym based exercise
The qualification provides learners with a good insight into the skills and knowledge they require, not only for working in this sector, but generic, transferable skills that all employers would welcome. The choice of units offered across Level 2 gives learners the opportunity to demonstrate a variety of transferable skills that employers are seeking.
Learners undertaking this qualification could progress into further education, including the following qualifications:
• Level 2 NVQ in Sport, Recreation and Allied Occupations
• Level 2 NVQ Certificate in Activity Leadership
• Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Instructing Exercise and Fitness
• Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training