Young Adult Carers
Gower College Swansea Young Adult Carer Designated Officers:
Telephone: 01792 284193 / 07917 352 153
Telephone: 01792 284071 and 07867135815
A Young Adult Carer (YAC) is someone aged 16-25 who looks after someone in their family who has a long term illness, disability, mental health or substance misuse issue.
YACs take on unpaid practical and / or emotional caring responsibilities* usually undertaken by an adult. YAC often feel they are only doing their duty to their family, or doing tasks that anyone would do. This can lead to their responsibilities going unrecognised by friends, schools and colleges. It can also lead to the YAC not receiving available support.
* Such as cooking and housework, managing budgets, assisting with medication, arranging and attending medical appointments, providing emotional support and personal care, such as helping with getting dressed and washed.
The college YAC Designated Officer aims to:
- Act as primary point of contact for college staff, external organisations, YAC and their families with enquiries about YAC support within the college.
- Ensure YACs are aware of the Student Support Officer linked to their course so they can meet and discuss any support they would like to have when in college.
- Provide all possible support to YACs, build positive relationships, assist with attendance issues and encourage retention and attainment.
- Break down any barriers to learning that YACs may face.
- Increase college staff and student awareness of the role of the YAC
- Link with the Admissions team during the admissions process to ensure early identification of YAC applying to college and develop new strategies to identify existing YAC within the college.
- Ensure YACs have equal chance to attend educational, recreational and social activities within the college.
- Liaise with Carer’s Trusts to establish an effective working relationship and encourage a united support for YACs.
Updated March 2020