This sector is growing and evolving, aiming to limit environmental impact and take advantage of digital technologies. To help drive these initiatives, the industry needs to attract people that are academically focused.
This brand new A Level will be an ideal qualification for those who have an interest in careers such as architecture, surveying and construction site management.
This WJEC qualification advances learners’ understanding of the built environment (e.g. the construction of houses, civil engineering, residential and commercial buildings).
Learners will gain an indepth understanding of professional roles within the built environment sector such as architect, engineer, surveyor, health and safety officers, building inspectors and site managers.
A minimum of seven GCSEs at grade C or above, including maths.
Subjects studied will include:
- The stages and processes involved in the built environment life cycle
- The professional and technical roles involved in the built environment
- Building Information Modelling (BIM) practices and the role of BIM software in all stages of the built environment life cycle
- Sustainability issues and sustainable practices in the built environment life cycle
- The changing nature of practice in the built environment sector over time and during different periods
The qualification will be useful to those with an interest in entering a technical or professional role in the construction industry or continuing their studies into higher education.
Future careers paths could include:
Architects; architectural technicians; architectural technologist; engineers; surveyors; health and safety officers; building inspectors; clerk of works and site managers / supervisors.