This is an exciting area of study and provides the fundamental skills needed in the development of all modern software and hardware components. You will be given the opportunity to develop programming skills together with the knowledge of both hardware and software.
You should have a keen interest in creating your own bespoke programs to provide solutions to different tasks.
Grade B in GCSE Maths. A GCSE in Computer Science / ICT is advantageous.
The course is extensive and includes:
- Computer programming
- Creating computer software, e.g. database programming, games programming, app development
- The fundamental principles of computer science including abstraction, decomposition, logic, algorithms and data representation
- Analysing problems in computational terms through practical experience of solving such problems
- Date types and data structures
- File organisation and database systems
- Producing structured solutions to computer problems
- System design and analysis
- System testing
- Operating systems
- Computer systems architecture
- Mathematics and theory of computer science
Staying with Gower College Swansea, you could progress on to the HND Applied Computing.
Progression to a university course - as computer programs and applications are an integral part of every aspect of modern life and because of the many transferable skills developed, this subject is suitable for study in combination with many other subjects, both at A Level and in higher education.
Careers in a variety of industries such as research and development, movie animation and programming.