The areas studied within this course are contained in five modules, comprising one theory and one programming exam (CS1, CS2) at AS Level and two theory and one coursework module in Year 2 (CS3, CS4, CS5).
B grades at GCSE mathematics, English and computer science
The course is extensive and includes:
- Computer programming
- Creating computer software, e.g. database programming, games programming, app development
- The fundamental principles of computer science including abstraction, decomposition, logic, algorithms and data representation
- Analysing problems in computational terms through practical experience of solving such problems
- Date types and data structures
- File organisation and database systems
- Producing structured solutions to computer problems
- System design and analysis
- System testing
- Operating systems
- Computer systems architecture
- Mathematics and theory of computer science
From mobile apps and satellite navigation to movies' special effects and auto-pilots, new technologies need reliable, usuable software.
Updated October 2018
Staying with Gower College Swansea, you could progress on to the HND Computing and Information Systems.
Progression to a university course - as computer programs and applications are an integral part of every aspect of modern life and because of the many transferable skills developed, this subject is suitable for study in combination with many other subjects, both at A Level and in higher education.