You will learn how to write computer programs, be introduced to networks, databases and operating systems and learn about the mathematics and theory of computer science.
You will discover how mobile apps, satellite navigation, auto-pilots and even special effects created for movies, all need reliable useable software.
Updated October 2021
Either grade B in GCSE maths and English, or Grade C in GCSE computer science
The course is extensive and includes:
- Computer programming
- Creating computer software, e.g. database programming, games programming, app development
- The fundamental principles of computer science including abstraction, decomposition, logic, algorithms and data representation
- Analysing problems in computational terms through practical experience of solving such problems
- Date types and data structures
- File organisation and database systems
- Producing structured solutions to computer problems
- System design and analysis
- System testing
- Operating systems
- Computer systems architecture
- Mathematics and theory of computer science
Staying with Gower College Swansea, you could progress on to the HND Applied Computing.
Progression to a university course - as computer programs and applications are an integral part of every aspect of modern life and because of the many transferable skills developed, this subject is suitable for study in combination with many other subjects, both at A Level and in higher education.
Careers in a variety of industries such as research and development, movie animation and programming.