Level 3 Extended Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering
The BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (3 A Level equivalent programme) is an inclusive and comprehensive programme that introduces students to the exciting field of advanced engineering.
- Develop a solid understanding of advanced engineering principles and their practical application in real-world scenarios
- Acquire hands-on experience with state-of-the-art manufacturing technologies and equipment, developing practical skills that are highly sought after by employers
- Foster critical thinking, problem-solving, analytical and design skills within an engineering context, enabling students to tackle complex engineering challenges
- Enhance teamwork, communication, and project management abilities through collaborative engineering projects, preparing students for successful participation in professional environments
- Cultivate a strong commitment to health and safety practices within an engineering and manufacturing setting, ensuring the well-being of individuals and promoting safe working environments.
- Six GCSEs at grade C or above
- To include English Language, Science and a minimum grade B in Mathematics
- A passion for engineering and a desire to explore the world of advanced engineering are highly encouraged.
The BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Advanced Engineering is a two-year full-time programme based at Gorseinon campus that covers a range of core and specialist units. These units provide students with a well-rounded education in advanced engineering.
- Engineering Principles
- Health and Safety in the Engineering Workplace
- Communication for Engineers
- Engineering Product Design and Manufacture
- Mathematics for Engineering Technicians
- Electrical and Electronic Principles
- Properties and Applications of Engineering Materials
- Engineering/ technical drawing / Computer-Aided Design (CAD) for Engineering.
- Engineering Design
- Principles and Applications of Fluid Mechanics
- Manufacturing Processes and Machining Techniques
- Principles and Applications of Thermodynamics
- Advanced Computer-Aided Design (CAD)
- Principles and Applications of Mechanical Principles
- Quality Assurance and Management in Engineering
- Welding and fabrication
- Further Mathematics (optional)
- Engineering Project.
Assessment in this course is diverse, with a range of methods employed to ensure comprehensive evaluation. Students will participate in practical assignments, coursework, tests and presentations. This varied approach allows students to demonstrate their understanding of concepts and their ability to apply them to real-world engineering scenarios.
Successful completion of the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Engineering opens up various pathways for further education or employment. Students can choose to pursue higher education at universities, where they can undertake engineering-related degree programmes and further specialize in fields such as manufacturing engineering, civil engineering, architecture, mechanical engineering, Industrial engineering, product design or robotics.
Additionally, students can explore the option of degree apprenticeships, which provide the opportunity to earn a degree while gaining valuable work experience with leading engineering companies. This combination of academic and practical training equips students with a competitive edge in the job market, leading to exciting career prospects in sectors such as automotive, aerospace, robotics, and manufacturing.