Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Computing
In this two year course, students will learn the fundamentals of computing through hands on projects and exercises in database design, website design, server installation, programming in languages like C# and games design in programs like Unreal Engine. These practical exercises will allow students to compete in competitions including Skills Wales and World Skills where they will demonstrate their skills in solving real world problems.
- Understand the basic principles of computing and its applications
- Develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Write simple programs using a programming language
- Understand the principles of cyber security
- Build complex computer networks and server infrastructure.
- Students will have knowledge on a wide range of aspects in the tech industry
- Students will be able to select from a range of careers including programming, cyber security, IT technician, server management, web design, and database construction.
- Five GCSEs at grade C or above, including English Language and Mathematics
- Or the Level 2 Diploma in Information and Creative Technology.
Combination of external examinations and coursework.
Pass, Merit or Distinction.
Staying with the college, you could progress on to the HND in Applied Computing.
Previous students have gone on to study a wide range of IT or computing related degrees in university including computer information systems, computer forensics, computer games development and computer science. Their choice of university has also been varied, including Swansea, University of South Wales, University of Wales Trinity Saint David and Cardiff University or Cardiff Metropolitan University. Students may also choose to take an apprenticeship or go directly into the tech industry.