Since September 2021, everyone in charge of settings for children between the ages of 0-12 years must possess both:
- Level 3 childcare qualification
- Level 3 playwork qualification or a smaller award as recognised on the SkillsActive List.
Updated January 2023.
You must be 18 or over and possess one of the following:
- Two years of childcare or education experience including CPD (care, play and development)
- A full level 3 competency-based qualification in education or childcare
- A historical qualification in education or childcare that encompasses Early Years, Childcare, Supporting Teaching and Learning, Youthwork and Forest Schools
- An alternative regulated full Level 3 competency-based qualification, which recognises the ability of learners to work with children in the absence of their parents or caregivers, e.g. residential childcare, social care with children or sports.
Learners must achieve two mandatory units totalling 12 credits.
- Unit 1 - Understand the theories underpinning playwork practice
- Unit 2 - Understand aspects of playwork practice
Suitable employment could include: hospital playwork practitioner; holiday club practitioner; after school club practitioner; adventure centre practitioner.