You will complete the following qualifications as part of the apprenticeship framework:
- Pearson BTEC Level 4 Higher National Certificate in Applied Sciences, plus
- NVQ Level 4 in Laboratory and Associated Technical Activities
Available pathways include: biology, forensic science, chemistry, environmental science, food science, technology and nutrition, polymer science and technology
You will study a range of topics including:
- Fundamentals of Laboratory Techniques
- Scientific Data Handling Approaches and Techniques
- Regulation and Quality in the Applied Sciences
- Choice of specialist units
You will also study essential skills in Application of Number, Communication and Digital Literacy.
Updated December 2021
Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Applied Science / Level 3 National Foundation Diploma in Applied Science / A minimum of two AS Levels (to include a science and / or maths).
Further study at university in a relevant subject. This apprenticeship is recognised, with continual professional development, to Registered Science Technician (RSciTech) status.
Employment options could include:
Laboratory technician e.g. school, hospital
Quality support technician
Forensic science technician
Water and wastewater technician
Environmental monitoring technician